The position of web developer consists of developing and designing web applications and web sites, creating and specifying architectural and technical parameters, and directing web site content creation, enhancement and maintenance.
- Analyze user needs to determine technical requirements;
- Back up files from web sites to local directories for instant recovery in case of problems;
- Confer with management or development teams to prioritize needs, resolve conflicts, develop content criteria, or choose solutions;
- Design, build, or maintain web sites, using authoring or scripting languages, content creation tools, management tools, and digital media;
- Develop or validate test routines and schedules to ensure that test cases mimic external interfaces and address all browser and device types;
- Evaluate code to ensure that it is valid, is properly structured, meets industry standards and is compatible with browsers, devices, or operating systems;
- Identify problems uncovered by testing or customer feedback, and correct problems or refer problems to appropriate personnel for correction;
- Maintain understanding of current web technologies or programming practices through continuing education, reading, or participation in professional conferences, workshops, or groups;
- Perform or direct web site updates;
- Write, design, or edit web page content, or direct others producing content.
Qualifications and requirements
- A bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field or equivalent;
- Knowledge of various programming languages, and ability to use logic and reason to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems;
- Ability to analyze needs and the product requirements to create a design, and ability to give full attention to what other people are saying.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Analytical Thinking — Job requires analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Initiative — Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.