The position of treasurer and controller consists of directing financial activities, such as planning, procurement, and investments for all or part of an organization.
- Conduct or coordinate audits of company accounts and financial transactions to ensure compliance with state and federal requirements and statutes;
- Delegate authority for the receipt, disbursement, banking, protection, and custody of funds, securities, and financial instruments;
- Develop and maintain relationships with banking, insurance, and nonorganizational accounting personnel to facilitate financial activities;
- Maintain current knowledge of organizational policies and procedures, federal and state policies and directives, and current accounting standards;
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of accounting and other financial staff, recommending and implementing personnel actions, such as promotions and dismissals;
- Monitor financial activities and details such as reserve levels to ensure that all legal and regulatory requirements are met;
- Prepare and file annual tax returns or prepare financial information so that outside accountants can complete tax returns;
- Prepare or direct preparation of financial statements, business activity reports, financial position forecasts, annual budgets, or reports required by regulatory agencies;
- Receive, record, and authorize requests for disbursements in accordance with company policies and procedures;
- Supervise employees performing financial reporting, accounting, billing, collections, payroll, and budgeting duties.
Qualifications and requirements
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions;
- Ability to use logic and reason to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions;
- Ability to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Analytical Thinking — Job requires analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.