The position of Windows system administrator consists of installing, configuring, and supporting an organization’s Windows based server infrastructure. This includes performing necessary maintenance and monitoring to provide continuous network availability, security, server performance and availability of the file/print, email and Internet services.
- Manage, support and ensure operating viability of LAN (Local Area Network) and WAN (Wide Area Network) both wired and wireless for all hours of operation, and report any abnormalities to the technical support manager;
- Manage Active Directory privileges, access right and computer environment by using Group Policy;
- Provide Windows Exchange Email Server Support;
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities;
- Assist in the planning, design, documentation, and implementation of various information systems to include servers, network equipment, and software applications;
- Ensure Windows server availability compliance to Service Level Agreements;
- Develop and maintain a Disaster Recovery Plan for networks and systems;
- Ensure infrastructure systems and services are operating at optimal level to ensure business functions, high availability and recoverability;
- Install new or rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project or operational requirements;
- Install new software releases, evaluate and install patches and resolve software related problems;
- Use a ticket management software to track progress on issues until resolution and closure;
- Work with developers, DBA service providers and data center operators to coordinate the resolution of problems and issues;
- Perform daily system monitoring, analyze logs, verify the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, review system and application logs, and verify completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
Qualifications and requirements
- A bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field or equivalent;
- Ability to use logic and reason to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, and to determine how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes;
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Adaptability/Flexibility — Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
- Analytical Thinking — Job requires analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.