The position of software engineer consists of researching, designing, developing, and testing operating systems-level software and network distribution software. It also consists of setting operational specifications and formulating and analyzing software requirements.
- Elaborate Software and Hardware Architecture orientation and monitor compliance to design principles and guidelines;
- Advise customer about, or perform, maintenance of software system;
- Document business requirements using formalism such UML or other object oriented modeling tools;
- Analyze information to determine, recommend and plan installation of a new system or modification of an existing system;
- Confer with data processing and project managers to obtain information on limitations and capabilities for data processing projects;
- Consult with customers or other departments on project status, proposals and technical issues such as software system design and maintenance;
- Consult with engineering staff to evaluate interface between hardware and software, develop specifications and performance requirements and resolve customer problems;
- Coordinate installation of software system;
- Direct software programming and development of documentation;
- Write computer programs of higher complexity or with specific performance, connectivity or business logic requirements;
- Modify existing software to correct errors, to adapt it to new hardware or to upgrade interfaces and improve performance;
- Prepare reports and correspondence concerning project specifications, activities and status;
- Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements.
Qualifications and requirements
- A bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field or equivalent;
- Ability to use logic and reason to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, and to give full attention to what other people are saying;
- Ability to identify complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Analytical Thinking — Job requires analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
- Independence — Job requires developing one’s own ways of doing things, guiding oneself with little or no supervision, and depending on oneself to get things done.
- Initiative — Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Achievement/Effort — Job requires establishing and maintaining personally challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward mastering tasks.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.