The position of real estate sales agent consists of renting, buying, or selling property for clients. It also consists of studying property listings, interviewing prospective clients, accompanying clients to property sites, discussing conditions of sale, and drawing up real estate contracts.
- Accompany buyers during visits to and inspections of properties, advising them on the suitability and value of the homes they are visiting;
- Act as an intermediary in negotiations between buyers and sellers, generally representing one or the other;
- Advise clients on market conditions, prices, mortgages, legal requirements and related matters;
- Compare a property with similar properties that have recently sold to determine its competitive market price;
- Confer with escrow companies, lenders, home inspectors, and pest control operators to ensure that terms and conditions of purchase agreements are met before closing dates;
- Coordinate property closings, overseeing signing of documents and disbursement of funds;
- Interview clients to determine what kind of property they are seeking;
- Prepare documents such as representation contracts, purchase agreements, closing statements, deeds and leases;
- Present purchase offers to sellers for consideration;
- Promote sales of properties through advertisements, open houses, and participation in multiple listing services.
Qualifications and requirements
- Training in vocational schools or an associate’s degree;
- Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying, to bring others together and try to reconcile differences, and to persuade others to change their minds or behavior.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Independence — Job requires developing one’s own ways of doing things, guiding oneself with little or no supervision, and depending on oneself to get things done.
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Persistence — Job requires persistence in the face of obstacles.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.