The position of real estate broker consists of operating a real estate office, or working for commercial real estate firm, overseeing real estate transactions. It also consists of selling real estate or renting properties and arranging loans.
- Act as an intermediary in negotiations between buyers and sellers over property prices and settlement details and during the closing of sales;
- Appraise property values, assessing income potential when relevant;
- Arrange for financing of property purchases;
- Check work completed by loan officers, attorneys, or other professionals to ensure that it is performed properly;
- Compare a property with similar properties that have recently sold to determine its competitive market price;
- Generate lists of properties for sale, their locations, descriptions, and available financing options, using computers;
- Maintain knowledge of real estate law, local economies, fair housing laws, types of available mortgages, financing options, and government programs;
- Monitor fulfillment of purchase contract terms to ensure that they are handled in a timely manner;
- Obtain agreements from property owners to place properties for sale with real estate firms;
- Sell, for a fee, real estate owned by others.
Qualifications and requirements
- Training in vocational schools or an associate’s degree;
- Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying, to use logic and reason to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, and to use judgment and make decisions.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Stress Tolerance — Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
- Initiative — Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.