The position of purchasing agent (except wholesale, retail, and farm product) consists of purchasing machinery, equipment, tools, parts, supplies, or services necessary for the operation of an establishment.
- Analyze price proposals, financial reports, and other data and information to determine reasonable prices;
- Confer with staff, users, and vendors to discuss defective or unacceptable goods or services and determine corrective action;
- Evaluate and monitor contract performance to ensure compliance with contractual obligations and to determine need for changes;
- Maintain and review computerized or manual records of items purchased, costs, deliveries, product performance, and inventories;
- Monitor and follow applicable laws and regulations;
- Monitor shipments to ensure that goods come in on time and resolve problems related to undelivered goods;
- Negotiate, renegotiate, and administer contracts with suppliers, vendors, and other representatives;
- Prepare purchase orders, solicit bid proposals, and review requisitions for goods and services;
- Purchase the highest quality merchandise at the lowest possible price and in correct amounts;
- Research and evaluate suppliers based on price, quality, selection, service, support, availability, reliability, production and distribution capabilities, and the supplier’s reputation and history.
Qualifications and requirements
- A college degree or equivalent;
- Ability to use logic and reason to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions;
- Ability to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Self Control — Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.