The position of purchasing agent & buyer (farm products) consists of purchasing farm products either for further processing or reselling and attempting to get the best deal for the company.
- Arrange for processing and/or resale of purchased products;
- Arrange for transportation and/or storage of purchased products;
- Calculate applicable government grain quotas;
- Coordinate and direct activities of workers engaged in cutting, transporting, storing, or milling products and in maintaining records;
- Examine and test crops and products to estimate their value, determine their grade, and locate any evidence of disease or insect damage;
- Maintain records of business transactions and product inventories, reporting data to companies or government agencies as necessary;
- Negotiate contracts with farmers for the production or purchase of farm products;
- Purchase for further processing or for resale farm products such as milk, grains, and Christmas trees;
- Review orders to determine product types and quantities required to meet demand;
- Sell supplies such as seed, feed, fertilizers, and insecticides, arranging for loans or financing as necessary.
Qualifications and requirements
- A high school diploma or equivalent;
- Ability to use logic and reason to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions;
- Ability to persuade others to change their minds or behavior;
- Ability to identify complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Self Control — Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.