The position of production supervisor or manager consists of supervising and coordinating the activities of production and operating workers, such as inspectors, precision workers, machine setters and operators, assemblers, fabricators, and plant and system operators.
- Confer with management or subordinates to resolve worker problems, complaints, or grievances;
- Confer with other supervisors to coordinate operations and activities within or between departments;
- Demonstrate equipment operations and work and safety procedures to new employees, or assign employees to experienced workers for training;
- Direct and coordinate the activities of employees engaged in the production or processing of goods, such as inspectors, machine setters, and fabricators;
- Enforce safety and sanitation regulations;
- Inspect materials, products, or equipment to detect defects or malfunctions;
- Interpret specifications, blueprints, job orders, and company policies and procedures for workers;
- Observe work and monitor gauges, dials, and other indicators to ensure that operators conform to production or processing standards;
- Plan and establish work schedules, assignments, and production sequences to meet production goals;
- Read and analyze charts, work orders, production schedules, and other records and reports to determine production requirements and to evaluate current production estimates and outputs.
Qualifications and requirements
- A high school diploma or equivalent;
- Ability to use logic and reason to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, and to manage one’s own time and the time of others;
- Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying, and to adjust actions in relation to others’ actions.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Leadership — Job requires a willingness to lead, take charge, and offer opinions and direction.
- Self Control — Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Stress Tolerance — Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.