The position of civil drafter consists of preparing drawings and topographical and relief maps used in civil engineering projects, such as highways, bridges, pipelines, flood control projects, and water and sewerage control systems.
- Calculate excavation tonnage and prepare graphs and fill-hauling diagrams for use in earth-moving operations;
- Correlate, interpret, and modify data obtained from topographical surveys, well logs, and geophysical prospecting reports;
- Determine quality, cost, strength and quantity of required materials, and enter figures on materials lists;
- Determine the order of work and method of presentation, such as orthographic or isometric drawing;
- Draft plans and detailed drawings for structures, installations, and construction projects such as highways, sewage disposal systems, and dikes, working from sketches or notes;
- Draw maps, diagrams, and profiles, using cross-sections and surveys, to represent elevations, topographical contours, subsurface formations and structures;
- Finish and duplicate drawings and documentation packages, according to required mediums and specifications for reproduction using blueprinting, photography, or other duplicating methods;
- Produce drawings using computer-assisted drafting systems (CAD) or drafting machines, or by hand using compasses, dividers, protractors, triangles and other drafting devices;
- Review rough sketches, drawings, specifications, and other engineering data received from civil engineers to ensure that they conform to design concepts;
- Supervise and train other technologists, technicians and drafters.
Qualifications and requirements
- A college degree or equivalent;
- Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying, and to use logic and reason to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions;
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Stress Tolerance — Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.