The position of city architect consists of planning, organizing, developing and analyzing various development or redevelopment projects, construction and urban design projects.
- Oversee the review and selection of external contractors or consultants;
- Plan, oversee, and monitor budget preparation and adherence;
- Provide advice on the aesthetics of public and private buildings;
- Provide project cost analysis and identify project resources;
- Provide technical advice and assistance to City management, field personnel, contractors;
- Provide technical review of alterations to City owned historic properties;
- Recommend conditions to ensure projects respond to the emerging needs of the community;
- Review proposed plans for compliance with historic preservation;
- Serve as liaison on behalf of the City to community and neighborhood groups, professional organizations;
- Serve as technical advisor on decisions which have architectural and design implications.
Qualifications and requirements
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
- Ability to use logic and reason to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions;
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions;
- Ability to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Analytical Thinking — Job requires analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Initiative — Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.