The position of city and regional planning aide consists of compiling data from various sources, such as maps, reports, and field and file investigations, for use by city planner in making planning studies.
- Conduct interviews, surveys and site inspections concerning factors that affect land usage, such as zoning, traffic flow and housing;
- Inspect sites and review plans for minor development permit applications;
- Participate in and support team planning efforts;
- Prepare reports, using statistics, charts, and graphs, to illustrate planning studies in areas such as population, land use, or zoning;
- Prepare, develop and maintain maps and databases;
- Prepare, maintain and update files and records, including land use, data and statistics;
- Provide and process zoning and project permits and applications;
- Research, compile, analyze and organize information from maps, reports, investigations, and books for use in reports and special projects;
- Respond to public inquiries and complaints;
- Serve as liaison between the planning department and other departments and agencies.
Qualifications and requirements
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
- Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying and to use logic and reason to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions;
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Analytical Thinking — Job requires analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.