The position of chief executive consists of determining and formulating policies and providing the overall direction of companies or private and public sector organizations within the guidelines set up by a board of directors or similar governing body. It also consists of planning, directing, or coordinating operational activities at the highest level of management with the help of subordinate executives and staff managers.
- Analyze operations to evaluate performance of a company and its staff in meeting objectives, and to determine areas of potential cost reduction, program improvement, or policy change;
- Appoint department heads or managers and assign or delegate responsibilities to them;
- Confer with board members, organization officials, and staff members to discuss issues, coordinate activities, and resolve problems;
- Direct and coordinate activities of businesses or departments concerned with production, pricing, sales, or distribution of products;
- Direct and coordinate an organization’s financial and budget activities to fund operations, maximize investments, and increase efficiency;
- Direct human resources activities, including the approval of human resource plans and activities, the selection of directors and other high-level staff, and establishment and organization of major departments;
- Direct, plan, and implement policies, objectives, and activities of organizations or businesses to ensure continuing operations, to maximize returns on investments, and to increase productivity;
- Negotiate or approve contracts and agreements with suppliers, distributors, federal and state agencies, and other organizational entities;
- Prepare budgets for approval, including those for funding and implementation of programs;
- Review reports submitted by staff members to recommend approval or to suggest changes.
Qualifications and requirements
- A bachelor’s degree or higher;
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions;
- Ability to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying and to use logic and reason to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Leadership — Job requires a willingness to lead, take charge, and offer opinions and direction.
- Initiative — Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Stress Tolerance — Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
- Achievement/Effort — Job requires establishing and maintaining personally challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward mastering tasks.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.