The position of transit and intercity bus driver consists of driving a bus or motor coach, including regular route operations, charters, and private carriage. It also consists of assisting passengers with baggage, and collecting fares or tickets.
- Advise passengers to be seated and orderly while on vehicles;
- Assist passengers, such as elderly or disabled individuals, on and off bus, ensure they are seated properly, help carry baggage, and answer questions about bus schedules or routes;
- Collect tickets or cash fares from passengers;
- Drive vehicles over specified routes or to specified destinations according to time schedules, complying with traffic regulations to ensure that passengers have a smooth and safe ride;
- Handle passenger emergencies or disruptions;
- Inspect vehicles, and check gas, oil, and water levels prior to departure;
- Park vehicles at loading areas so that passengers can board;
- Record information, such as cash receipts and ticket fares, and maintain a log book;
- Regulate heating, lighting, and ventilating systems for passenger comfort;
- Report delays or accidents.
Qualifications and requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- Ability to control operations of equipment or systems, to monitor gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a bus is working properly;
- Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Self Control — Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Concern for Others — Job requires being sensitive to others‘ needs and feelings and being understanding and helpful on the job.
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.