The position of school bus driver consists of transporting students or special clients, such as the elderly or persons with disabilities. Responsibilities include ensuring adherence to safety rules and assisting passengers in boarding or exiting.
- Check the condition of a vehicle’s tires, brakes, windshield wipers, lights, oil, fuel, water, and safety equipment to ensure that everything is in working order;
- Comply with traffic regulations to operate vehicles in a safe and courteous manner;
- Drive gasoline, diesel, or electrically powered multi-passenger vehicles to transport students between neighborhoods, schools, and school activities;
- Follow safety rules as students board and exit buses or cross streets near bus stops;
- Keep bus interior clean for passengers;
- Maintain knowledge of first-aid procedures;
- Maintain order among pupils during trips to ensure safety;
- Pick up and drop off students at regularly scheduled neighborhood locations, following strict time schedules;
- Prepare and submit reports that may include the number of passengers or trips, hours worked, mileage, fuel consumption, or fares received;
- Report any bus malfunctions or repairs needed.
Qualifications and requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying, to control operations of equipment or systems, and to monitor gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure the bus is working properly.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Self Control — Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Stress Tolerance — Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
- Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Concern for Others — Job requires being sensitive to others‘ needs and feelings and being understanding and helpful on the job.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.