The position of bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerk consists of performing any combination of routine calculating, posting, and verifying duties to obtain primary financial data for use in maintaining accounting records.
- Check figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, and proper codes;
- Classify, record, and summarize numerical and financial data to compile and keep financial records, using journals and ledgers or computers;
- Code documents according to company procedures;
- Compile statistical, financial, accounting or auditing reports and tables pertaining to such matters as cash receipts, expenditures, accounts payable and receivable, and profits and losses;
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations;
- Debit, credit, and total accounts on computer spreadsheets and databases, using specialized accounting software;
- Operate 10-key calculators, typewriters, and copy machines to perform calculations and produce documents;
- Operate computers programmed with accounting software to record, store, and analyze information;
- Receive, record, and bank cash, checks, and vouchers;
- Reconcile or note and report discrepancies found in records.
Qualifications and requirements
- A high school diploma or equivalent;
- Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying, to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, and to manage one’s own time.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Independence — Job requires developing one’s own ways of doing things, guiding oneself with little or no supervision, and depending on oneself to get things done.
- Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.