The position of banquet chef consists of being responsible for the production of all food needed for banquet functions or parties, the food costs for banquet functions, and the supervision of personnel used for banquet events.
- Assuring proper sanitation practices are followed;
- Assuring smooth banquet operation by coordinating with related food and beverage departments;
- Controlling food costs by maintaining accurate records of all food ingredients used for banquets;
- Creating new menus and seeing to their proper implementation;
- Dealing with other cooks, on a one to one basis, instructing and guiding them in their jobs;
- Directing supervision of day to day operation of all banquet functions;
- Ensuring preparation, plating and presentation standards are maintained;
- Orienting employees to the department and providing training on job responsibilities;
- Prioritizing and assigning work, and conducting performance reviews;
- Recommending and implementing procedural or production changes.
Qualifications and requirements
- A high school diploma or equivalent;
- Ability to monitor or assess performance of yourself, other individuals, or organization to make improvements or take corrective action;
- Ability to motivate, develop, and direct people as they work and identify the best people for the job;
- Ability to manage one’s own time and the time of others.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Stress Tolerance — Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
- Leadership — Job requires a willingness to lead, take charge, and offer opinions and direction.
- Self Control — Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.