The position of advanced practice psychiatric registered nurse consists of providing advanced nursing care to patients with psychiatric disorders. Responsibilities may include, under medical prescription, initiating diagnostic and therapeutic measures, mixing substances to complete preparation of medication, and conducting examinations and invasive diagnostic testing.
- Assess patients‘ mental and physical status based on the presenting symptoms and complaints;
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary team members, including psychiatrists, psychologists, or nursing staff, to develop, implement, or evaluate treatment plans;
- Conduct individual, group, or family psychotherapy for those with chronic or acute mental disorders;
- Diagnose psychiatric disorders and mental health conditions;
- Distinguish between physiologically and psychologically based disorders and diagnose appropriately;
- Document patients‘ medical and psychological histories, physical assessment results, diagnoses, treatment plans, prescriptions, or outcomes;
- Educate patients and family members about mental health and medical conditions, preventive health measures, medications, or treatment plans;
- Evaluate patients‘ behavior to formulate diagnoses or assess treatments;
- Monitor patients‘ medication usage and results;
- Administer and monitor prescribed prescriptions for psychotropic medications as allowed by laws and regulations and collaborative practice agreements.
Qualifications and requirements
- Post-secondary diploma in nursing; college degree, bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or equivalent;
- Ability to give full attention to what other people are saying, and to monitor or assess performance of yourself, other individuals, or organization to make improvements or take corrective action;
- Ability to be aware of others‘ reactions and understand why they react as they do.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Concern for Others — Job requires being sensitive to others‘ needs and feelings and being understanding and helpful on the job.
- Self Control — Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.