The position of accountant consists of analyzing financial information and preparing financial reports to determine or maintain a record of assets, liabilities, profit and loss, tax liability, or other financial activities within an organization.
- Advise clients in areas such as compensation, employee health care benefits, the design of accounting or data processing systems, or long-range tax or estate plans;
- Analyze business operations, trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations, to project future revenues and expenses or to provide advice;
- Compute taxes owed and prepare tax returns, ensuring compliance with payment, reporting or other tax requirements;
- Develop, implement, modify, and document recordkeeping and accounting systems, making use of current computer technology;
- Develop, maintain, and analyze budgets, preparing periodic reports that compare budgeted costs to actual costs;
- Establish tables of accounts and assign entries to proper accounts;
- Maintain or examine the records of government agencies;
- Prepare, examine, or analyze accounting records, financial statements, or other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards;
- Provide internal and external auditing services for businesses or individuals;
- Report to management regarding the finances of an establishment.
Qualifications and requirements
- A four-year bachelor’s degree;
- Ability to use logic and reason to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions;
- Ability to identify complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Competencies (in order of importance)
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Analytical Thinking — Job requires analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
- Achievement/Effort — Job requires establishing and maintaining personally challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward mastering tasks.
Lines of communication
- Please Identify where the position fits within the hierarchy of your organization.
- Please indicate if the position is full time or part time. Also list any unique working conditions (such as working hours) that the candidate should know about.